Menu

The Preservation Of The African Aesthetic

Afrocentric, Collaborations

The Preservation Of The African Aesthetic

Check out my feature on www.checkoutafrica.today 

In this day and age, racism and unequal representation seem to permeate every facet of the fashion industry, from models to designers, to make-up artists etc …  A survey done by ‘The Fashion Spot’ showed that 80% of models on runways are white, leaving a disappointing 20% of models as minorities. There’s a massive disconnect between consumers and producers of fashion, because consumers come in all different shapes, colours and sizes, but only a small fraction of them are able to see themselves represented in the industry.

Essentially, this diversity issue comes down to a lack of opportunity and visibility for people of colour – more specifically African designers. Deeper than that, a fundamental issue that contributes to this lack of diversity is the Eurocentric standards of beauty that the fashion industry stubbornly conforms to, which of course, often leaves African beauty and culture on the sidelines – very commonly appropriated, but not appreciated.

This is why I’m here to serve as a platform that includes African beauty and culture in mainstream fashion by collaborating with African fashion designers and artists, thereby making them more visible in online spaces. With that being said, have a look at my first fashion editorial with Nigerian designer Mercy1932, and keep your eyes peeled for more to come!

Share

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!

Please upgrade today!